DATE(S): Various – see below
TIME: 1pm – 2pm
VENUE(S): Law Society House, Belfast
COST: £35 per session
CPD HOURS: 1 General Group Study
Session 1 Wednesday 18 April 2018
The Charity Commission – What you need to know
The Charity Commission for Northern Ireland is the independent regulator of charities in Northern Ireland, responsible for ensuring a dynamic and well governed charities sector in which the public can have confidence.
This session will provide members with an insight into the work of the Commission, including an overview of the duties imposed on charity trustees by the Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2008 and how charity regulation could impact on your clients’ day to day operational activity.
The seminar will cover a number of key areas:
· An introduction to the Charity Commission;
· Getting registered - The importance of purposes and the public benefit requirement;
· Cy-près and other casework;
· The Charity Commission’s regulatory powers.
Colleen Gallagher, Legal Adviser at the Charity Commission will present an overview of the regulations and what lessons have been learned so far.
Session 2 Tuesday 27 November 2018
Common mistakes in applications and update on relevant case law
With regulations continuing to stem from the Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2008 and greater obligations being placed upon charities, this session will:
· discuss the main developments in 2018;
· what charities can expect in 2019;
· highlight decisions of the Charity Tribunal and the High Court;
· cover lessons for the sector from the latest casework and investigatory work of the Commission.
Yvonne Bell, Legal Adviser at the Charity Commission will present an overview of the regulations and what lessons have been learned so far.