3 - Making a complaint to the Law Society
All complaints should be submitted to the Law Society using our Complaints Form which is downloadable from the bottom of this page.
Before downloading the form it is important that you read the following guidance notes:
- Please attach documents which you think will help us, for example any emails, letters, notes, diary entries etc. you intend to rely upon to support your complaint.
- You must always include your written complaint to the solicitor, whether it is a letter or a copy of our in-house complaints procedure complaint form together with any response received.
- Please ensure all aspects of the complaint are included on the form as new issues cannot be raised at a later date.
- To maintain confidentiality and to comply with statutory obligations, we have to ensure that any complaint to us about your solicitor's conduct or service is in writing, signed by you and contains a full postal address.
- We cannot deal with initial complaints by email, although once your complaint has been commenced, we are happy to accept emails from you.
- We will normally respond by post.
- We also cannot accept telephone information as evidence as we need to be certain that our records properly reflect your position. Therefore any information given over the telephone will have to be confirmed by you in writing.
- We will confirm our position in writing, where appropriate.
- We always send a formal letter to you and the solicitors by post at the conclusion of the investigation.
You can download a complaints form by clicking below:
You can also request an information pack by telephoning or writing to:
The Law Society of Northern Ireland
96 Victoria Street
BT 1 3GN
Or telephoning - 028 9023 1614
Before you send your complaints form to the Society you need to check that you have done the following:
- Have you contacted your solicitor in the first instance to make them aware of your complaint?
- Have you waited twenty eight days to allow the solicitor to respond to your complaint in writing?
- Have you completed the complaint form fully and signed and dated it?
- Have you enclosed ALL of the documentation relating to your complaint?
- Have you enclosed a copy of your letter of complaint to the solicitor?
- Have you enclosed the reply you received from the solicitor, if applicable?
If you can answer NO to any of the above questions then the Law Society cannot investigate your complaint.
4 - What happens next?